The Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 were passed by the Scottish Parliament on 9 May 2012. The new regulations will help Scotland become one of the most resource efficient nations in Europe.
The recycling requirements of the new regulations are set to be phased in over several years:
- From 1 January 2014, businesses are to present metal, plastic, glass, paper and card for separate collection.
- Food businesses producing over 50kg of food waste per week are required to present that food waste for separate collection from the same date - 1 January 2014.
- From 1 January 2016, this will be extended to any food business that produces over 5kg of food waste per week.
- From 1 January 2021, all biodegradable municipal waste will be banned from going to landfill.
The regulations define a food business as
- "An undertaking, whether for profit or not, and whether public or private, carrying out any activity related to the processing, distribution, preparation or sale of food."
This definition extends much further than you may expect. While obvious businesses such as restaurants, cafes and hotels are included, so are shops that sell food, schools and colleges, prisons, nursing homes, hospitals, and any business with a staff canteen that prepares and sells food.
Glasdon recycling bins can help you meet your new statutory obligations. We offer a range of recycling containers in a wide variety of sizes and styles to help you collect metal, plastic, glass, paper and card for separate collection.
If you are classed as a food business, the new Nexus® Shuttle Recycling Bin is the ultimate dedicated food waste bin. With a large aperture and pedal operation, Nexus® Shuttle is perfect for use in commercial food preparation areas.
Glasdon representatives have many years' experience in the design and rollout of recycling collection schemes. Our dedicated staff can help you to plan for your new duties, and are available to visit your premises and conduct a free, no obligation site survey to assist you.
For more information on how Glasdon UK can help you achieve high levels of recycling, please contact our sales office on +44 1253 600 435, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.